Start of the guide
Welcome to the Rails Girls guides! In these guides you’ll learn how to make an app using the Ruby on Rails framework (which is why this event is called Rails Girls). When you have made your first app, you’ll deploy it to a hosting service so that you can view it on the Internet and share it with others.
Please follow the numbered guides in order. Each guide assumes you followed the previous guide. When you’re done with the workshop and/or completed all the numbered guides, feel free to explore the other guides as well. Ask you coach for suggestions!
The first guides help you get set up with the tools you’ll need and installing Rails on your machine. Use the Guides list lower on this page to navigate your way to the next guide.
If you’re ever stuck during a guide, please ask your coach for help and also consult this handy cheatsheet for Ruby, Rails, the console, the Text Editor etc.
- Guide 1: Start of the guide (Current page!)
- Guide 2: Get to know the tools
- Guide 3: Guide to install Rails
- Guide 4: Build Your First App
- Guide 5: Style your app using HTML and CSS
- Guide 6: Add a new page to your app
- Guide 7: Add a new homepage to your app
- Guide 8: Add picture uploads
- Guide 9: Push Your App to GitHub
- Guide 10: Put your app online with one of these services:
- Guide 11: Style the idea pages using HTML and CSS
- Guide 12: Add comments to your app
- Guide 13: Create picture thumbnails
- Guide 14: Test your app with RSpec
View all guides